All my big dreaming, all my traveling hither and yon, with or without Lucas (but especially without), would not be possible without Fang’s steadfast support.
How amazing is he? Check out his latest post, in which he braves wildfire to get the dog to surgery. . .
. . .and then realize he’s spent just about every minute since then trying to keep the dog calm. The dog is normally pretty unflappable, but thus far, he’s in full freak-out mode:
- The dog has eaten his sutures, which is quite a feat, as they were under his skin, not outside it.
- The dog rejected the Cone of Dumbness that would have prevented him from eating his sutures–Fang hypothesizes the freak-out was part from the dog’s dislike of collars, and part from a belief that his body may have disappeared since he can no longer see it.
- Fang tried bitter apple spray on the dog’s wound, but the stuff aerosolizes, which means Fang has had bitter apple taste in his mouth for days (not pleasant, I assure you).
- Fang has taken the dog to the vet for additional wound wraps and sedatives.
- When all other measures didn’t work, Fang sat on the floor with the dog, which was the only thing that kept the beast from hyperventilating. The dog now will only sleep with his head on Fang’s lap.
Here’s to Fang, who was supposed to have a vacation from family responsibilities this week, and instead has all the responsibilities of a toddler’s parent.